Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Leave your Mother and Father

Genesis 1:24 "That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh."

God says this, in the book of Genesis, right after the description of taking Adam's rib and forming Eve.  The reason why we should leave our Father and Mother, is to become whole. This blog entry is not about singleness and marriage, but about wholeness.  There are countless examples in the Bible of people leaving their family and discovering greatness. Joseph was abandoned by his brothers and rose to be Pharoah's right hand man.  Jacob stopped lieing and cheating when he finally cut the ambilical cord and he became Isreal.  Samuel was seperated from his mother at the age of 2 and became a powerful judge. Ruth was noticed and commended by Boaz, her future husband, for leaving her mother and father and coming to a foreign land.  Even Jesus himself left His parents to live out His ministry.  Jesus said, that His mother and father and brothers and sisters were the ones who do the will of God.  He also said that a prophet is without honor among his family and friends.  You see there is a greatness in all of us that cannot be un-earthed around people who are familiar with us.  For some it is a challenge to leave their parents due to circumstances; disability, financial hardship or GUILT.  I understand these challenges well. I have a disability and had every reason to think that staying with my family would be easier for me.  But from an early age I had a thirst for independence and adventure, and that is what drove me to leave my mother and father.  Now I am not saying you should completely abandon your family, but if you want to pursue greatness leave home.  I left home at 18 and I live a full life.  I have gone through so many challenges to get to where I am today. Some of these challenges were down right hellish, but I am thankful for every experience I've had because they have formed me into a strong woman.  I know who I am first, because God found me and breathed life into my soul, and second because I left home.  I left all that was comfortable and familiar and I found myself. I hope you will be inspired now to leave your comfort zone and become whole too. I have no arms and legs. What's your excuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment