Sunday, December 14, 2014

Energy source

Colossians 1:29 To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.

Until recently I have been in a state of anxiety and survival most of my life.  Just like most people I have been through experiences that left me emotionally traumatized.  If I had gone to a Psychologist a few years ago, I would have most likely been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder.  Maybe you can relate to this.  When someone has experienced trauma they can be set on survival mode, within survival mode there is a need to be constantly vigilant, worrisome, and most of all, in control. Traumatized people have a difficult time trusting God because it is hard to reconcile that bad things happened and He didn't step in to stop it.   When I started traveling avidly, these survival skills did not help me when I was far outside my comfort zone.  Traveling requires the ability to be ok with not being in control of every aspect of your surroundings.  The first few months of traveling I experienced levels of anxiety that seemed high enough to take my life.  There came a point that I realized that I had a choice, to learn peace, or die young.  I have been on a journey to find true peace for a little over a year.  My anxiety has drastically decreased and my traveling experiences are so much more enjoyable.  Here are some bullet point truths I have discovered that promote peace.
  • My time of war has come to an end. There was a time in my life that I was subject to pain and trauma. But that season is over.  Like an airplane taking off I have cleared the turbulence and am flying in the slip stream.  I can make choices to protect my life because I am now an autonomous adult.
  • Everything in life that is not on the Rock (Jesus Christ) is on shifting sand.  Everything that I had been holding on to that was unhealthy I let go of:  Relationships,  mindsets, sins.  Give God every part of your life.
  • When we are anxious its because we are relying on our fleshly strength and energy to survive.  God has an endless supply of energy and He will work His energy in us.  When I trust God and let Him work His energy in me, I can travel and speak and face the unknown with confidence and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment